Collection: Part 3

15 March

14 March

I tried another umbrella for 3d experiments today. And I put some small samples on the surface. 

This time, it seems work well because I got a smaller umbrella which has more rounded shape. However, I think I should more consideration should be needed for the whole  silhouette. 

And below is the 3d experiments with a rack with a fabric.

The fabric I chose for this project is waterproof based  so that can bring the relations between army wear and Harrods' canopy.

Before carrying this 3d tryouts, I didn't realized that I went off wrong directions before I had a tutorial with Helen.  She told me that I should make a board which I can look all the time for referencing. 

The above board is a collections of key imageries. 

This is a failure of not considering my previous research. So I decided to try another sleeve which is related to my key images. 

11 March

I colored some of the parts from  the navy  color based umbrella to link with the camouflage paintings. I always have been thought about umbrella will work for the similarity with canopy, but it seems not working really well. So I sewn back side of the parts to form a similar shape with the canopy. And I also wanted to finish the edge of the umbrella's fabric to bring more supportive force, Becuase it was colored with oil pastel, sewing machine didn't even go through very well. 

10 March

I tried to make a sample which is similar with the Harrods's canopy shape.The reason why I would like to make this sample is that by trying this protrusion shape like a pregnant's women, I wanted to have some 3d experiments. I made four pieces and sewn together, but the problem was the shape I wanted to create did not go well than I thought. IMG_7650.jpg

Inner part of the sample.

I tried to put this sample on the tailored dummy, since I only have the idea of protrusion shape not a refined design, I was wondering for a while with this sample. Because I had no idea what to do with this. Therefore, I would like to draw and think about the whole silhouette, and then I wish I use this sample long before. 

9 March

I am thinking that how should  I effectively design helmet's protruding from and canopy shape of the harrods I've studied so far. 

8 March

I used the needle case and disposable plastic cup lid.

I noticed that using oil pastels seems not appropriate to describe in detail.But since it is a sample that responded to the war helmet after seeing it, I thought it would be okay to be expressed roughly.

I cut out the plastic disposable cup lid to look like fan shape, What was bothering me was that I could probably use both the surface, oil pastel colored on the front and the other reflected side on the back, although it was different. 

the front side

the backside

7 March

I made some colored paper samples responded by secondary research. But I was uncertain which arrangement should be placed. 

And I also had some problem which background fabric or paper  should be placed. I don't think the background fabric is not working so I removed that.  I tried to sew the cut- out paper samples together, but the surface was colored with oil pastel, so it didn't work very well. That's why I stapled them together instead. 

6 March

I spent a lot of time for researching in CSM Library and Lcf library after having tutorial with Chris.  I would like to start with the green women and their role between first world war. And I have decided to combine the olive colored canopy from the Harrods which is remarkable that shows up immediately after arriving at Harrot Department Store. In addition, I found some images related to women workers (1914 ~1918 because the green women only existed during this time) especially bus conductor or station staff whose works are related to service area. 

And here are some key words underlying this research. 

women and employment

working women

first world war (1914 ~ 1918)

Harrods canopy 

baby carriage 

maternity wear 

4 March

I went to the Imperial war museum to see uniforms that were used during world war I and world war II.

It was too bad to look at uniforms limited to men's soldiers. But those collections from that time enabled me to think which Colour pallette will work for this project. 

The next day of visiting Imperial museum, I also went to Harrods department store to see what Harrods looks like. It was my first time to visit there, even though I have been Liberty or John lewis several times. There was distinctive difference between other shopping centre. To me, department store like Harrods seems has more historical aspects. I have noticed ceilings are decorated carefully. They are decorated with luxurious carvings and patterned walls. Besides, I saw two green men in front of the entrance, they looked busy with traffic jams in front of the Harrods entrance. 

26 Feby

Today, I had a tutorial with Chris and got some feedbacks from teammates. 

He recommended me to broaden my subjects. What I showed them was tea pickers and dried tea samples on papers. 

So here are some notes from today's class.

tea plantation 

origin of teas - India, Japan and China

father's and mother's day ugly gift mug 

daily afternoon ceremony old people in England

There are some people who drink tea more than water 

tea cosy

Characters in times (as a tea history)

tea reading - fortune telling (leftovers)

I will try to combine some of those aspects and interpret them as my original perspectives.

24 Feb

Today, I visited portobello road  to have a look for vintage tea wares with Mei. The majority of shops sell furniture, but I found big sized woven circular tray from Africa in a shop. And I also bought kettle as well. And I am going to put acrylics on this woven tray and put on a body as a source of my silhouette sample. 

We straighted to Old spitafields market but couln't find what we were looking for. Instead, we headed to vintage markets in Camden passage. I was pleased to find some antiquated tea wares and some of them were from hotels. The surface was worn by heat, which looks inspiring to me. And I also bought brooches as well and then put a brooch on a dried tea bag where I am going to use it for further developments. 

23 Feb

I continued my research in the school library, as I looked through tea cups and ceramics , especially their obscure colors created by accident fascinated my eye. As I tried drying teabags before, so there is a common point between ceramics and teabags as far as concerned of colors. And I would liked to bring this mixture of colors in my project. 

And then I visited alison Jaques gallery in soho to see an exhibition.

It was worth visiting to see art pieces as his drawings have layered textures in his canvases which I am going to use it   as well. 

스크린샷 2018-02-25 20.53.34.png

20 Feb

Today, I spent my time in the school library for continuing my research.

I read an explanatory article about history of the tea, and it helped me to gain design elements concerning of various aspects. For teabags, it was an accidental inventory item by a tea merchant, and I thought because the teabags are disposable after brewing a cup of tea, dust bags for vacuum cleaner is also suitable for my design samples. It is disposable and actually tea bags and dust bag look in similar way as a package material consisted of folded papers. And I ordered some different sizes and designs of paper dustbags and filters in a website called dustbaguk. After that I looked through a website West India Company which has a nice selections of tea set, and I found meshed bowl set and I thought  wired meshed net can be bended or curved to look like that kind of bowl which I researched becuase my main design element is circular shape. For tomorrow, I will visit a West Indian company and will have look some nice tea related stuffs and would like to branch out my thinking process.

19 Feb

In the afternoon, I went to the katute 100 Japanese tea cafe.

I saw a variety of dried tea leaves were placed in tiny small bowls. And I have decided to draw observational drawings from now on.  Fristly, Rather than drawing on papers without materials, I wanted to collage with tea stained paper. So I collected as many tea contained teabags as possible, and started to boiling water and then I poured water in different cups for infusing various kinds of teas. 

Below are the lists that I have tried.

Rooibos, English-breakfast,milk Oolong tea, green tea, ginger tea, earl grey and fruit mixed tea 

Among these, mixed with apple and blueberry tea was successful I think. Because the majority of tea have greenish color, but fruit tea had purple and light sky blue altogether so I really love the color itself made. This experiment was more spontaneous than intended, but it seemed that these eight types of tea alone found some element of fashion print.

Here's a summary of what I've done.

Wet with water, tear out grains from tea bag and dry it on thick paper so that it is stained. 

My roommate found I was brewing some various teas with a lot of lables and curious about what I was doing. And after explaning to her my personal proposal, she told me if I research portuguese princess who merried with british prince and eventually introduced tea habit to the UK. So I read some articles related that time, and realized that if I look through 1660s customs or fashion in that period, it might be really helpful for finding some refined silhouette. Becuase whenever I research, what made me struggling most was refining silouette. I would like to make sure everything is clear from rough silhouette to tiny detail.

16 Feb

무제 2.png.4 

On my way to the gallery, I had happen to see a blue sticker sheet that  protect the new windows and thought I should use it for my work.

I visited Kennington high street to see an exhibition called White Peak, Dark Peak done by Lewis Nobe in Thackeray gallery.

All paintings were abstract oil painting style paintings of natural scenery of Derbyshire. An abstract brush marks spreaded all over the canvas, seemed to be sufficient to refer to my project. Because I tried to use the tea growing field as one of my main starting image, so I can appreciate these works to get an Idea of how I can develop my observational drawings and responding to my tea growing secondary research imageries. 

And then I moved to the Brocket gallery to see an Cat Roissetter's illustrations. All the sketches were really small about the size of an A4 paper, but this was the best exhibition with so many inspiration and ideas.

Because I was thinking to make sure to use the stained paper,  her little yellowish sketches in the sketchbook which combined watercolor and charcoal well guided me how I can bring this kind of atmosphere to my sketchbooks. And the most impressive thing was the small but sparsely spaced trees (actually rather than a branch of trees) with the cold cement floor.  This method of displaying sketches with wood would be suitable to the space when I should display outcome in the far future.

15 Feb

IMG_7395.jpgVisiting Royal Academy of Arts

Charles I King and Collector

Broken nose from Marble sculpture
Crated spots on the body sculture
Torso -> garment idea (what if I draw only top of the silhouette first)
Districted 2 parts background (when drawing portrait, what If I color background with multiple colors)
Diversitive angle for portrait

I saw many of the biggest size of paintings I met in my life, but I could see tiny brooches  to be more interesting than grandeur pieces. I thought it would be good to connect  with Tea accessory each other or try it out like a brooch.

While watching the exhibition, I was impressed to see the scarf flowing down old lady's bag strap in front of me. 

Among many pieces,  Albrecht Dürer  and Hans Holbein amazed me  how brilliant the detail of their drawing are.

14 Feb

Here and there : Paintings by LIsa Milroy

Today I went to the old steeet to visit a gallery called Victoria miro which has two separated exhibitions at the same time. Firstly , I saw some clothe collections reassembled in the first floor gallery. The quality of exhibition was not so good but some of the ideas that artist has taken was helpful for me to realize my ideas to works. The most impressive part was that by placing the blue dress on the pulley, the observer could see the clothes in the right place where they think feel comfortable. And she actually painted acrylic to the real clothes. And I thouht it would be nice if I  bring her ideas on  variations to same fabric design print by using different materials (silk, canvas, polyester or neoprene) .

Jeorge Pardo

Rather than straightly usig the shape of lamps in their way, seeing various sizes and layers of beautiful lamps that I could not think of would inspire me most.
And to me, this exhibition space, which is rough and only full of  lamps, has become a special echo to me. I am not sure with this series of lamps is useful to my theme but I am certain that this kind of display which is hanging large lamps on the ceiling with thick ropes or placing them in the wooden dais.

Besides, having some time to think of objects that I never seen and never thought of in this way would be really helpful at some point when my project is progressed.
What fascinated me in this exhibition was actually the space was built with dark woods, and this atmosphere made me think of what I am trying to convey. Becuase I already decided tea related stufffs gonna be used at the very first beginning of my project, looking thorugh wooden made stuffs really helped me to come up with new ideas broadly. 

12 Feb

a side b side gallery 

Ellen Sampson WORN 

This was my first time to see an exhibition limited to shoes. I was surprised by the way she presented worn shoes with detailed photographs of worn shoes. For example, the shoes’s skin heavily worn out by wearing. Her works of oberservation and thought deeply through an object( shoes ) gave me a deep inspiration. I thought It would be nice if I work with some series of collected objects related to tea ware. For instance, tea infusioner , tea whisk and powdered or dried petals of flowers and plants.

11 Feb

10 am - 

First of all, I want to see a lot of works by different artists. So I visited serpentine gallery to see Lee Ufan's public sculpture in Kensington garden. simple combination of metallic glass and stone brought a heavy resonance on the way down to its museum. Unfortunately I can't explain it in detail yet, seems this sculpture well suited for my project titled with 'reconfiguring'.

But the problem is my personal project is still in vague and not firmly formed, therefore I cannot have inserting it on to the proposal. 

11am -

I've moved my destination to the Barbican Center to see an exhibition called 'Yto Barrada'.Though it was a smaller exhibition than I thought, I was quite surprised by her beautiful work. Mobile-like installation on the ceiling was good, but what was more impressive was the symmetric but harmonious deformation of the chairs at the beginning. What was more refreshing is that the chairs were talking because art pieces were belong to multi media category. And small pieces of her collages were also good enough to show how I  start my sketchbook for coming up with a project not yet shaped.

10 Feb

After finishing my hand in-, I had a brunch with my friend in cafe caravan. In there I had Oolong tea and I took a lot of photographes which are containing tea leaves in the pot or pouring down infused water.
And the tea served with two ceramics with small cup and kettle, and I thought it would be helpful to research ceramic tablewares espeically hand maden ceramics or artist who worked with ceramic.

Below are silhouette ideas that came up with in my mind randomly.

gestures grabbing in kettle.
Round table shape with tablecloth

People gathered around the table and having chatting each other 

vintage Tablecloth

7 Feb

Beginning this own project..

After I had my personal project brief in archway, Mei and I straight went to the king's cross library for our research. There was usually an atmosphere of projects I wanted to do with, but there was no exact source of detail. I went to the fine art section on the third floor and looked for all of European artists. I grabbed everything I could and copied anyt pages I liked.

Artists below were helpful even if I did not insist on working on my project but as a source of learning to broaden my insights.

Robert  Rauschenberg, Niki de saint Phalle, Cy tombly and  Pipilotti Rist

Among them, Cy Tombly's subtle sculptures caught my eyes and made me want to use them for this project.

Before I came London, I was far from having teas in my life. But after six months, I found myself so many different kinds of teas piled up in my cupboard and I couldn’t continue my daily routine without a cup of tea for a day.So I intrigued by many tea stuffs and started to look at them deeply.